Reprints From The Honey Grove Signal


Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - April 23, 1897
Mack Daniels, the boy who was found in the sand house of the T&P railroad at Bonham a few days ago, suffering from an attach of typhoid fever, and who was taken to the county farm for treatment, died at that place Saturday afternoon, without regaining complete consciousness. His home is supposed to be in the Territory.

Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - October 15, 1897
Hurburt, the nine-year-old son of Mr. W. H. Robertson, who lives 6 miles southeast of this city was severely bitten by a mad dog Tuesday. The dog approached the boy and knocked him down, biting him in several places on his face and lower limbs. Hurburt was immediately taken to a mad-stone. The dog ran Mr. Robertson in the house at Mr. Jas. Herrings. A gun was procured and the dog was shot at three times but escaped without being killed.

Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - April 20, 1900
The trial of Lucius Hindman, charge with murder, is one this week at Sedalia, Mo., and a verdict is expected by Saturday night. Lucius has written his friends here that he has good hopes of establishing his plea of self-defense.

Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - July 27, 1900 
A man named Isaac Flatt, who lives about four miles north of Windom, was arrested Monday, upon a charge of seducing a young girl of the neighborhood. Flatt is now in jail at Bonham.

Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - August 31, 1900
Everett Wages was killed in a railroad wreck at Hearne last Friday. Everett was the son of Rev. J. R. Wages, who was pastor of the Methodist Church at this place about three years. He was a small boy when his father resided here but was about twenty-four years old at the time of his death. He was a brakeman on the Central railway.

Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - September 14, 1900
A little son of Hugh Love, in Lannius, was kicked and probably fatally injured by a mule a few days since. The little fellow's skull was crushed and at last accounts the doctor's entertained but slight hopes for his recovery.

Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - November 16, 1900
Mr. Howard Sawyer, a prominent and highly-respected citizen of Bonham, died at Woodstock, Canada, Tuesday morning. He went to Canada about two months since to visit his brother, and was expected home this week. A few days before his death his family received a letter from him saying that he was suffering from the extreme cold but no mention of illness was made. His remains will reach Bonham Sunday.

Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - November 30, 1900
T. R. Baird fell in the post office Monday morning and received painful injuries. Workmen were repairing the floor of the building and had two planks up, and the Captain, being blind, fell in the hole. One of his fingers was broken and a deep gash was cut in his forehead. He has not been able to be out since the accident.

Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - July 25, 1902
Little Bobbie Trout, an orphan boy who makes his home at Mr. J. S. Erwin's was bitten by a dog that manifests every symptom of rabies Tuesday. The dog is a young greyhound and was a great pet of the boy's. Tuesday the canine, without warning, sprang at the boy with the ferocity of a tiger and tore the flesh of the little fellow's hand. The dog's action created suspicion and it was at once confined in a barn to await developments. It appears to be blind and pays no further attention to any person or thing than to snap at everything that touches it. People who have seen mad dogs say this one is undoubtedly afflicted with rabies. The brute was very weak yesterday and is probably dead by this time. A mad stone was applied to the wound and adhered several hours. There is some talk of sending the little boy to the Pasteur Institute at St. Louis and the Signal hopes this action will be taken.

Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - August 22, 1902
R. D. Hudson, the old man who killed his son-in-law, I. J. Martin, a few miles southwest of Honey Grove about a year and a half ago, died in the Bonham jail Monday night and the remains were interred at Oakwood cemetery, this city, Tuesday. Mr. Hudson was arrested on the night of the killing and since has spent all of his time in jail. He was tried twice, the first trial resulting in a life sentence to the penitentiary, which verdict was reversed by a higher court and the case remanded. At the second trial he was given a term of ten years, and would probably have been sent to the state prison some weeks ago but for his ill health. He was about 78 years old at the time of his death. It is seldom that one of such advanced age commits such a bloody crime, and while to the general public the deed has the appearance of a murder most foul, the old man must have believed himself justifiable in the act. Peace to his ashes.

Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - September 5, 1902
A Roxton negro ordered his son to go to the cotton patch and pick cotton, which so angered the young Senegambian that he picked up a gun and shot the old man. The wounded negro will die.

"James Lambeth, aged seventeen years and Miss Ida Taylor, aged fourteen, who lived in the Pee Dee community on the Slate Shoalds road, were married a few days ago by Squire Andrews of Powderly. Both of the young folks were under the legal age, but were married with the permission of their parents." PARIS ADVOCATE. ----As stated by the Signal last week, the law relating to marriage should be amended by striking out the clause allowing parents to consent to the marriage of children. Some parents seem to know no more than children and their consent to the marriage of a pair of kids does not lessen the evils of the child-marriage in the least.

Reprints From Honey Grove Signal - October 3, 1902
A. C. Clark, a saddler, who had been in the employ of J. W. Hamilton for some time, went to Paris Sunday and tanked up on mean whiskey, which act is responsible for the serious trouble that now hangs over him. Clark is a fine workman and when sober is a very nice man, but whiskey takes over and there's no telling what he will do. Late in the afternoon he started home and took a street car to the depot. On the front platform was a grip which belonged to a lady, but the motorman thought it was Clark's and called to him that he had left his baggage. Clark took the grip and carried it to the depot platform. Clark was arrested and at last accounts was in jail at Paris.

The Origins Network Search 1841 England and Wales Census
trace your origins
Last name  First name 



Site Owner: Ellen Mayo
Copyright by DreamMakers Web, October 1997, all rights reserved.
This page may be freely linked to but databases and original illustrations/images
may not be copied without express consent of DreamMakers Web